FCS WebsiteFamily and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Website TransformationFCS Website
Elevating Public Engagement through Strategic Digital Revitalization
The revitalization of the Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) website marked a significant milestone in the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture’s commitment to making research-based information more accessible and engaging. In collaboration with the Institute’s ITS and Marketing departments, I led the FCS Creative Team through a strategic overhaul of the website, transitioning from SharePoint to WordPress. This transition was not merely a platform change but a complete reimagining of how FCS communicates its wealth of knowledge to the public.
Strategic Leadership and Creative Vision
Integrated Project Leadership
- Oversaw the website’s development from its conceptual stages to full deployment, ensuring alignment with new branding, copy, and design standards.
- Engaged closely with IT and Extension leadership, serving on committees and participating in ideation meetings to guide the digital transformation across the Institute of Agriculture.
Creative Direction and Content Innovation
- Served as the creative lead, working alongside subject matter experts to ensure the integrity of the content while making it more intuitive and accessible to users.
- Directed the art of branding, design, and content, aligning with UTIA’s marketing and communications strategies to foster a cohesive online presence.
Quality Assurance and Collaborative Excellence
- Managed creative funding and team dynamics, fostering an environment where innovation and quality intersect to produce outstanding digital content.
- Ensured the highest standards of project quality, from the accuracy of information to the usability of the website, enhancing user engagement and satisfaction.
Digital Strategy and User Experience
- Contributed to UI/UX design, focusing on simplifying content structure and navigation to make finding and understanding information effortless for users.
- Led the technical consultation and implementation strategy in partnership with UTIA’s Office of Information and Technology, ensuring a seamless transition to WordPress.
Content Creation and Departmental Marketing
- Undertook a comprehensive audit of existing content, ultimately deciding to start from scratch to ensure clarity and relevance across all subject areas, including family, health, finance, housing, and fitness.
- Created new content for every subject matter, articulating the department’s offerings and value to stakeholders and audiences, effectively marketing the department’s impact and resources.
The transformation of the FCS website is a testament to the power of strategic leadership, creative innovation, and collaborative effort in bridging the gap between complex research and public engagement. By reimagining the digital presence of FCS, we have created a platform that not only showcases the depth of knowledge within the department but also invites users to explore and benefit from this information in their personal and community lives.